Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Other Side of the Pond

It's been almost a month since I arrived in Birmingham. While the first two weeks were busy running errands and getting everything set up, the time that followed could not be any more different. I was (an am) fortunate to meet and befriend a group of over 10 people from completely different countries, and we have stuck together through the orientation and social events of the past week and a half. I don't remember the last time I had this much fun. Being surrounded by so much diversity makes me forget sometimes that I am in England. It just feels like I am in a place of coexistence. Can you blame me when I interact with people from Germany, Slovenia, UAE, Norway, Greece, India, Nigeria, France, China, Russia, and USA on a daily basis? 




Like I said I've been busy with orientation events and seminars. I am still worried about what the start of  classes will bring, but my friends bring me so much support and happiness that I think we can handle it together. Freshers events are great as well, although I am sad to say that I have caught a cold. I think my immune system went on vacation. 


Last Saturday some of my new friends and I went on the trip to Stonehenge. I am so glad Aston organized this trip because I didn't get to go the last time I was in England. Other than the schedule trips and events, my friends and I are enjoying Birmingham. We often joke that we have our own orientation events because in addition to the ones on the induction timetable, we have been going out, exploring the city and visiting the museum and the Bull Ring. 

Like one of my favorite street art murals near the museum says: "Todo es posible!"


No comments:

Post a Comment